What is Financial Acumen?
“Financial Acumen for Local Government has been specifically designed to increase the financial understanding and commercial capability of managers operating within local government. In doing so it will facilitate improved decision making that will lead to better outcomes for meeting the ever-increasing demands of ratepayers and stakeholders in a rapidly changing and demanding environment.” – Mr John Corrigan – FCPA, Director – The Business School
- Understand the language of finance and demystify financial management dialogue;
- Make sense of financial concepts and develop tools to make decisions;
- Make informed, valuable contributions to management discussions with new expertise and a deeper understanding of financial reports;
- Confidently apply your new-found knowledge with and use information to improve business performance;
- Build financial and commercial capability across the leadership team to improve decision making;
- Align finance, marketing, operations, and service to the organisation’s strategy over short and long term horizons;
- Make better operational decisions based on the factors affecting financial performance;
- Operational units can now adopt the financial perspective to drive an holistic agenda;
- The blended course structure is time effective delivered in one day in the classroom;
- The classroom learnings are reinforced by supplementary online material and a finance cafe tutorial; and
Strong Industry Focus
- The material is tailored to local government including Financial Statements from Councils, ratio analyses which are relevant to Council operations, examples of Councils’ financial plans and budgets, exercises around service costing and pricing (road maintenance, childcare & waste operations), and typical elements of a departmental budget.